Saturday, February 13, 2010

Early Morning

I should remember by now that staying up late on a Friday night does NOT mean I will get to sleep in on Saturday mornings, especially if I'm on call for our group practice. So, I got an ER page at 6:20am, the time I would get out of bed during the week anyway. I tried to fall back to sleep, but my husband has a cold and was snoring like a lumberjack, so I came downstairs for a little quiet time. My hungry kitten played his favorite game of let's try to trip the human and send her falling to her death, but I fed him anyway. I had visions of checking email then doing a gentle yoga sequence before the day really gets going.

About 5 minutes later I heard a loud beeping noise, and couldn't figure out what it was. Then my daughter Zee started yelling for me. Apparently, she played with her Cinderella alarm clock last night before bed and set the alarm. For 715am. I'm so glad it wasn't for 315am! That successfully woke my son, and here we all are at 725. (Except for my husband, who is still happily snoozing upstairs.) Now the requests for pancakes begin. With, or without, chocolate chips. That's the important question.

The kids explained they're starving, then ran downstairs to play. 20 minutes of yoga for me! (For an excellent description of poses, see yogajournal.com website.) I needed some gentle lower back stretching and some major hip opening. I started with a little alternate nostril breathing (always good for a busy Saturday), then some cat/cow spinal tilts, twisted puppy pose to open my shoulders, followed by a lovely child's pose (which was complicated by the kitten crawling under my chest and trying to play with the zipper pull on my sweatshirt). I warmed up my spine more with half sun salutations, followed by a few rounds of sun salutation C. Only a few standing poses today, low lunge and wide legged standing forward fold. Lowering my knees, I held frog pose to open my hips, then went into my favorite seated series: gomukhasana, ardha matsyendrasana, fire log/double pigeon. Topped off with a happy baby and a short savasana, I am feeling ready to make those pancakes!

Janeen

No comments:

Post a Comment