Monday, March 15, 2010

Beware the Ides of March

We sprang ahead an hour yesterday. I always get so thrown off by the time changes. I don't know why, it's just an hour, but my body and internal clock get really upset! I yawned all day long yesterday and couldn't fall asleep last night. The kids have also had some trouble adjusting. I went in to wake DJ up at 715 (I let him sleep in an extra 15 minutes) and he of course started whining until he'd worked himself into tears by the time he was dressed. I knew what he'd say if I asked, so I didn't. I didn't want to get up either!!

Zee woke up at 720 on her own. She started to cry for a different reason. She told me (with crocodile tears streaming down her cheeks) that when the grandparents are here, she misses them a lot when they leave again. She rallied quickly, thank goodness! Our timing was all off getting breakfast, and DJ and I went outside at the usual time to meet the bus. Only no one else was there. I found out later we had a substitute bus driver and she had arrived 10 minutes before our usual time. We missed the stinking bus! Zee decided to be an excellent listener, and I got everyone where they needed to be on time. Not sure how. Don't want to try it again.

Today is March 15th. The Ides of March. I'm sure we all remember the line in Shakespeare's Julius Caesars "Beware the Ides of March." Oooh, creepy foreshadowing, he gets stabbed by his cronies a couple of scenes later. I don't think my day was quite as bad as Caesar's. But it can be hard to bounce back from a tough morning. I had to work to not let it set the tone for an anxious and irritable day. I had a great yoga class before work, with a lot of hip-opening to dispel my anger (thanks, Mary!), and I worked on breathing between patients and phone calls during my super busy day. I am not clenching my shoulders or my jaw, so I'm hopeful about falling asleep later, too. I am glad I'm learning about my response to stressful situations while I'm on the yoga mat, so in real life a missed bus doesn't have to ruin the entire day! A bunch of knives in the back, on the other hand...

2 comments:

  1. Hello- I've enjoyed reading several of your posts, and I love what you say about happiness being within and looking for it there. As a fellow psychiatrist it's great to hear you say that the answer to all problems does not lie in swallowing a happy pill! I find the over-emphasis on psychopharmacology to be reductionistic and unbalanced. I also agree that in ,medical education and professional training something was way off...Hours and hours were spent on irrelevant stuff, while vital matters were barely mentioned or completely ignored. Are you familiar with some of the CME courses by Rachel Naomi Remen? I have not attended any, but I feel she is a trail-blazer trying to restore balance and openness to the practice of all areas of health care. Great name for your blog! Best, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I had not heard of Rachel Naomi Remen, but checked out her website. Sounds really interesting. I wondered if you have read Happiness Now! Timeless Wisdom for Feeling Good Fast by Robert Holden. It has some commonalities with The Power of Now, but easier to read :)
    Janeen

    ReplyDelete