Saturday, April 3, 2010

Changes

Yesterday the trees were bare. Today leaves have appeared on the willow trees and some beautiful yellow shrubs. Every year this change takes me by surprise. It literally happens over night! Soon the fruit trees will bloom and spring will be in full swing.
Spring is a time for transitions, and new beginnings. Most of us have specific rituals this time of year, meant to prepare us for the changing seasons. I perform a closet purge, and pull out the things I no longer wear to donate. Then I replace winter sweaters with summer tops in my drawers. This is a simple shift in wardrobe, and mindset, which prepares me for spring. Most of life's transitions aren't as easy.
Change is usually difficult for me, and I think a lot of other people feel the same way. Nature changes easily and quickly from season to season, but I face change with a lot of uncertainty and worry. I thought long and hard before making a recent change in my work schedule and cutting out one of my 3 offices. I knew the change would cost me some of my long-term patients, and not everyone would be happy with me. I was correct about that, but it has been positive for my personal life. I tend to over-think things and avoid change even when my habitual patterns no longer serve. I am trying to take my cues from nature. The trees don't fret about unfurling leaves, my cats don't sweat the spring shed, maybe I can look at change as part of life itself. The only certainty in life is that nothing stays the same. I think I will be a lot freer if I welcome changes with an open mind and heart!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. "I am trying to take my cues from nature. The leaves don't fret about unfurling leaves." There is so much wisdom in nature- when we take the time to listen and look. I cut back from working 40 hrs/wk to 24 hrs/wk nearly 6 months ago and it has been a HUGE blessing. I am happy to hear that you have a lighter work schedule, and I'm sure your daughter will be happy! My kids enjoy having a less-tired mom who can spend more time with them. Congratulations on choosing to have more balance by avoiding excessive work hours!

    ReplyDelete